Tuesday, February 3, 2015

IDT1415 CW Entry 5 - Reflections on James (2006) - Writing Creatively in Another Language: Even beginner learners can be creative in the way they use language



                I really like James' point of view and found her article really appealing, especially because of the level - beginner! Although I agree that there is no limit for creativity I would have probably tried to gain time for self reflection if asked what I thought about creative writing at this level.  With some of our beginner students in mind I would immediately struggle to find potential scenarios and activities which would make good use of the limited abilities of those particular students. As she alludes, creativity and especially, creativity in writing would be thought to be only possible for proficient users and so I absolutely concord with the premise that less is more.

                I also like the part on Haiku poems as I knew about them very superficially and her examples made me curious and hunger for more information about them and how to write one. Acronyms were already known to me of course, but it was nice to see her simple activities as these brought back memories of when I have used them in class with my elementary classes. James could not be more right when she says that CW does not have to be grammatical. I believe the opposite seems to be implanted in many English teachers' DNA automatically often making grammar almost the heart of the syllabus.

                In short, I believe the key words here to be:

                                Encourage them always
                                Allow them to try and try
                                Believe in them always

                               Creativity!
                               It will come in the making
                               Owning what they know

2 comments:

  1. Robert, my reaction to James' article was very similar to yours when I first read it. At first it was concern (it went very quickly), then it became curiosity, then a feeling of real freedom. The 'beginners' creative writing was such a revelation! I organised a workshop for our 2012 Tri-Campus Language Centre Conference in Malaysia where I introduced this concept and I could see the eyes of the language teachers opening up widely, first in disbelief and then in excitement!

    I love your Haiku, by the way! I found this interesting site about how to write and teach to write haikus: http://haiku.insouthsea.co.uk

    I might quote you and use your poem to encourage teachers to use creative writing with their beginners! (With your permission :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica for your feedback and link too. I checked it out and would like to look at it in more detail when I have some time. RE my haiku or first attempt at making one - of course you can use it! :-)

      Delete